1.Bitcoin: The price of bitcoin has gone from 18k to 41k in the last month. I don’t understand it enough to invest. However this trend and its implications for society are worth understanding.
2. Thing I’m Using: I purchased a Peloton Bike in August. In all of the years that I have worked out – I never liked stationary bikes. I love my Peloton bike and have ridden for about an hour each day since I’ve had it.
3. Thing I’m Thinking About: That one of the things I love about the bike is that I clip in. It physically connects me to the technology and prohibits my attention from wandering. I think about this a lot in a world that is filled with endless distraction.
4. Thing I’m Watching: Soul. One of the best movies I’ve ever seen. Brilliant in every way.
5. Why I Haven’t Written: The strain of world events coupled with my obligations to my firm and my clients have made creative thought very difficult for me. I think about this a lot as well. And the impact that stress and uncertainty have on populations that are marginalized. This is every day of their existence for perhaps centuries.
1.Thing I’m Doing: Covid-19 has resulted in several significant travel plans of mine being canceled. I’m going to use this “extra” time to tackle some big projects in my life.
2.Thing I’m Pondering: Figuring out what new skill I want to tackle with so many events in my life being canceled. I think I’m going to work on improving my Spanish. I have downloaded the Duolingo app.
3. Thing I’ll Be Doing: Tackling some home improvement projects that need doing. The door that is overdue to be painted is going to get painted.
4. What’s On My Mind: Making sure my loved ones and those who depend on me are taken care of.
5. Thing I’ll Also Be Doing: Isolating myself and my family as completely as possible from others. During this time I will turn off the news, shut off my laptop and go for walks, exercise, do puzzles, maybe convince my kids to learn Spanish with me and read books.
1.Book I’m Listening To: 10x by Grant Cardone. Good book. Takeaway – thinking big and working hard makes life easier.
2. Thing I’m Down On: Short work travel trips. They can be great an energizing but come at a significant cost of energy and health.
3. Thing That Needs To Stop: Handshakes. The coronavirus highlights the absurdity of handshakes. They are not necessary.
4. Security: Perhaps the single biggest differentiator in cell phones right now is security. They all have good cameras and screens. According to the National Institute of Standards – Android has the most security vulnerabilities for 2019, 2017, and 2016.
5. Quote: Thousands of candles can be lighted by a single candle, the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared. – Buddha
1.Question I Was Asked This Week: How do you write a book?
2. Answer I Gave To Question I Was Asked: Sit down and write 500 words a day – the best way to write a book is to write a book.
3. Thing I’m Doing: Using GPS in areas that I am familiar with. I find that my usual routes weren’t always the most efficient routes. Saving 3 and 4 minutes on frequently traveled routes adds up.
4. Quote I’m Thinking On: “To move forward, focus on what can be done today, then repeat.” – Hailey Rice
5. The Future of Law Practice: Erin Levine the visionary founder of Hello Divorce keeps winning legal innovation awards. These awards are well deserved. As we look at the future of law watch Erin.
1.Thing We’re Doing: Beginning our weekly meetings by going around the table and giving shout outs to other team members. It sets the tone for who we are.
2. Thing I Look At Each Day: A magnet that says “Action This Day”. It’s on my refrigerator at home and at work. A reminder from Churchill that the best time to do something that needs to be done is right now.
3. Talk About the Weather: The National Weather Service has issued its 3 month forecast. The Northeast is going to be warmer and wetter than normal. 2020 has a 50% chance at being the hottest year ever. Link.
4. In The Not Too Distant Future: People will wonder why people walked around with cell phones. Pandora announced a standalone app that works for the Apple Watch without an iPhone. The future will not be the phone.
5. Thing I Hope For: A political system and an electorate that focuses on data to craft public policy decisions. The age of ideology needs to end.
1.What I’m Thinking About: The line between self acceptance and complacency. Which brings me to point 2.
2. Podcast Episode I Listened To: Brene Brown on Tim Ferriss where they discussed point 1 and many other things. Give it a listen if you are fans of either.
3. Book I’m Gifting: How About You?: A Handbook of Questions To Help You Live Your Best Life by Karen Caffrey. Karen is a wonderful person and this is a wonderful book if you’d like to do some thinking.
4. Product I’m Loving: Gold Bond Friction Defense stick. I work out a lot and my skin is sensitive so chafing can become an issue. I’ve used Body Glide before. But this is medicated and offers healing.
5. Thing I Just Love: Lifting weights. Resistance and weight training are tremendously beneficial. And there’s something just so satisfying about lifting.