- I’m Noting This: There has been a lot of loss in the world. Ranging from lost dinners, to lost jobs, to lost vacations, to lost loved ones. The grief surrounds us. It manifests in many ways – anxiety and anger. It’s important to sit with this. And to acknowledge our losses individually and our collective losses.
- Doing Nothing: The best thing we can do is stay in place. Which is the opposite of how so many of us live.
- Thing To Do: The change to my life has changed many things. One of the things I’m remembering to do is drink water. Drinking water is essential for our health.
- I’m Practicing This: Kindness. It’s always good to be kind. It’s especially good in a time of immense anxiety.
- I’m Listening To This: Pearl Jam’s “Gigaton”. It’s fantastic. The production quality is amazing. I’ve listened through and this is likely going to be my favorite PJ album in many years.
1.Thing I’m Doing: Covid-19 has resulted in several significant travel plans of mine being canceled. I’m going to use this “extra” time to tackle some big projects in my life.
2.Thing I’m Pondering: Figuring out what new skill I want to tackle with so many events in my life being canceled. I think I’m going to work on improving my Spanish. I have downloaded the Duolingo app.
3. Thing I’ll Be Doing: Tackling some home improvement projects that need doing. The door that is overdue to be painted is going to get painted.
4. What’s On My Mind: Making sure my loved ones and those who depend on me are taken care of.
5. Thing I’ll Also Be Doing: Isolating myself and my family as completely as possible from others. During this time I will turn off the news, shut off my laptop and go for walks, exercise, do puzzles, maybe convince my kids to learn Spanish with me and read books.
1.Book I’m Listening To: 10x by Grant Cardone. Good book. Takeaway – thinking big and working hard makes life easier.
2. Thing I’m Down On: Short work travel trips. They can be great an energizing but come at a significant cost of energy and health.
3. Thing That Needs To Stop: Handshakes. The coronavirus highlights the absurdity of handshakes. They are not necessary.
4. Security: Perhaps the single biggest differentiator in cell phones right now is security. They all have good cameras and screens. According to the National Institute of Standards – Android has the most security vulnerabilities for 2019, 2017, and 2016.
5. Quote: Thousands of candles can be lighted by a single candle, the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared. – Buddha
1.Question I Was Asked This Week: How do you write a book?
2. Answer I Gave To Question I Was Asked: Sit down and write 500 words a day – the best way to write a book is to write a book.
3. Thing I’m Doing: Using GPS in areas that I am familiar with. I find that my usual routes weren’t always the most efficient routes. Saving 3 and 4 minutes on frequently traveled routes adds up.
4. Quote I’m Thinking On: “To move forward, focus on what can be done today, then repeat.” – Hailey Rice
1.Thing We’re Doing: Beginning our weekly meetings by going around the table and giving shout outs to other team members. It sets the tone for who we are.
2. Thing I Look At Each Day: A magnet that says “Action This Day”. It’s on my refrigerator at home and at work. A reminder from Churchill that the best time to do something that needs to be done is right now.
3. Talk About the Weather: The National Weather Service has issued its 3 month forecast. The Northeast is going to be warmer and wetter than normal. 2020 has a 50% chance at being the hottest year ever. Link.
4. In The Not Too Distant Future: People will wonder why people walked around with cell phones. Pandora announced a standalone app that works for the Apple Watch without an iPhone. The future will not be the phone.
5. Thing I Hope For: A political system and an electorate that focuses on data to craft public policy decisions. The age of ideology needs to end.
1.What I’m Thinking About: The line between self acceptance and complacency. Which brings me to point 2.
2. Podcast Episode I Listened To: Brene Brown on Tim Ferriss where they discussed point 1 and many other things. Give it a listen if you are fans of either.
3. Book I’m Gifting: How About You?: A Handbook of Questions To Help You Live Your Best Life by Karen Caffrey. Karen is a wonderful person and this is a wonderful book if you’d like to do some thinking.
4. Product I’m Loving: Gold Bond Friction Defense stick. I work out a lot and my skin is sensitive so chafing can become an issue. I’ve used Body Glide before. But this is medicated and offers healing.
5. Thing I Just Love: Lifting weights. Resistance and weight training are tremendously beneficial. And there’s something just so satisfying about lifting.
1.Quote I’m Reflecting On: You may delay, but time will not. – Ben Franklin
2. What I’m Noticing: There is a lot of cardboard in my recycling. So much of what we buy is shipped to us in cardboard boxes. I wonder about the environmental consequences of this.
3. Thing I’m Thinking A Lot About: – Kindness, empathy, and civility as acts of protest.
4. Thing You May Not Have Known About: Medical records companies are the worst. For years, the law was that we could obtain medical records for our clients for $6.50 electronically. An awful court decision reversed this and we will now be charged $.65 a page for medical records. This is bad for consumers to the tune of billions of dollars.
5. What I’m Counting: Victories in not doing things. For much of my life, I celebrated doing things. I’m now finding joy in not doing things – like passing on tortilla chips.
2. Another Trend Worth Watching: KFC is rolling out Beyond Meat Fried “Chicken” in a 100 stores in February. The stores are in Nashville and Charlotte. Early reviews are two thumbs up. May the future be more humane.
3. Policy Change Needed: Fatal car accidents in the United States spike by 6% during the workweek following the “spring forward” to daylight saving time, resulting in about 28 additional deaths each year, according to new University of Colorado Boulder research. Needless deaths – we should stop changing clocks based on seasons.
4. Thing I Watched: Netflix’s Aaron Hernandez documentary. It was very good. The more we understand about the brain the better. The documentary is sad on so many levels. A complete tragedy of a life.
5. Thing I’m Listening To: Nirvana’s Bleach Deluxe Edition which features a pre-fame concert at Pine Street Theater in Portland Oregon in 1990. It’s a great set.
1. Story I’m Loving: I love Pearl Jam’s new song “Dance of the Clairvoyants”. I really love Stone Gossard telling the story of the creative process behind it.
2. Truth I’m Believing: The more we criticize others the louder the voice of self-criticism in our head becomes.
3. Book I Can’t Put Down: Ronan Farrow’s “Catch And Kill“. Abuse isn’t a glitch in the system – it can be the system for the rich and powerful. Read it.
4. Question I’m Asking Myself: How do I want to feel today?
5. Space I’m Making: I’m creating safe space for my ideas. Allowing myself to create without being critical is allowing me to think bigger.
1.Thing I’m Doing: Just noting behavior. If someone is upset – I just think there’s an upset person. No different than going for a walk and noting a tree. I get to control my reaction. And I do this by noting my environment.
2. Thing I Did That Is Resonating: I love writing on LinkedIn. This post I wrote about giving myself permission has resonated with a number of people. Check it out.
3. Thing I’ve Stuck With The Works: Not drinking caffeine after 11 am. My sleep and sanity are better.
4. Thing I Won’t Be Doing: I’ve purchased nearly every Pearl Jam CD on the day it debuted. I’ve been doing this since 1994. Pearl Jam just announced a new album that will debut in March. I no longer own a CD player.
5. Best Service That’s New To Me: My firm needs a lot of documents notarized. We are all notaries in the office. In today’s mobile and busy world that’s not enough. We have taken to using Notarize and it is great. Check it out.